— World War II veteran Dempsey McLemore, grand marshal of the annual Veterans Day Parade, rides in an Army jeep and waves to onlookers as the procession passes through downtown Athens. McLemore was part of the 82nd Airborne and jumped in behind enemy lines in Normandy, France. He was captured and taken as a POW and later liberated by the Russians. McLemore’s son, Pastor Dusty McLemore, sits behind his father. Driving the jeep was Zack Magnusson of Ardmore.
- Top Local News
4 teens shot at graduation party in Huntsville
Madison County sheriff's deputies say a fight broke out during the party. Authorities said people jumped someone at the party, who then began shooting.Continued ...
- Special Needs Rodeo rescheduled for June 23
- Teacher to be honored by FFA
- State, local officials weigh-in on Oklahoma tragedy
- Second man arrested over washer, dryer burglary
- 4 teens shot at graduation party in Huntsville
- Today's Local Feature
- State and Nation
FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A Chechen immigrant was shot to death by authorities while being questioned in the Boston Marathon bombing case early Wednesday after he lunged at an FBI agent with a knife, officials said.Continued ...
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- GOP questions IRS scrutiny of anti-abortion groups
- Parents face tough choice when tornadoes bear down
- Arias tells jury what she'll do if allowed to live
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Local Sports
Bears LB Urlacher announces his retirement
CHICAGO (AP) — Star linebacker Brian Urlacher is calling it a career after 13 seasons with the Chicago Bears.
The eight-time Pro Bowl player announced his retirement on his Twitter account Wednesday. In a statement, he said, "After spending a lot of time this spring thinking about my NFL future, I have made a decision to retire."Continued ...
- Bulldogs outlast Missouri 2-1 in 17 innings
- Alabama rallies past Auburn 6-3 at SEC tournament
- Former Tide WR Woodson transfers to South Alabama
- Alabama's Grant promotes Pettway, Brannen
- Bears LB Urlacher announces his retirement
- Calendar of Events