A recent proposal by the Limestone County Commission to purchase the mostly empty L&S Foodland shopping center on North Jefferson Street has The News Courier staff wondering: Just what is “1-hour seafood?” While taking photos of the property, a reporter took this shot of the worn sign above to give readers a chance to tell us what they know about its history. It features a strange combination, including a Dutch girl (look closely, the second portion of the sign once said “Dutch Maid” before being turned upside down and repainted with the words “Bon Secour”) and what appears to be a one-hour dry-cleaning logo. Do you remember when this sign beckoned people into various businesses? Do you know when it was first installed? Send your remembrances to Editor Kelly Kazek at email@example.com and they will be published in an upcoming edition of The News Courier.
- Top Local News
More police presence on the roads this weekend
Athens Police Chief Floyd Johnson said more officers will be out in force this weekend. More patrol cars will be seen in high-density areas, he said, while officers may also be conducting roadblocks in lower traffic areas.Continued ...
- New Hope man arrested for failing to register as a sex offender
- Ala. governor signs bond issues, campaign bill
- City to conduct water line maintenance Tuesday
- UPDATE: Fiery car wreck kills 2 in Limestone
- More police presence on the roads this weekend
- Today's Local Feature
- State and Nation
Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
Four girls killed in an Alabama church bombing during the civil rights movement are receiving the highest honor Congress gives to civilians.Continued ...
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by truck hitting span
- 2 more arrests in London attack investigation
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Local Sports
Tanner duo selected for North-South football game
A pair of local athletes will represent Limestone County at the North-South football game later this summer.Continued ...
- Smith signs with NW Florida
- Athens Senior, Owens, signs with Faulkner
- Soccer teams named for 2013 All-Star Sports Week
- ACE IN THE HOLE
- Tanner duo selected for North-South football game
Gulf anglers get longer red snapper season
Gulf of Mexico anglers will have a longer red snapper season than they thought. A week before opening, regulators announced that the recreational season in federal waters for the popular game fish will be 17 to 34 days instead of nine to 28.Continued ...
- Frazier leads Mississippi State past Texas A&M 6-4
- LSU blanks Alabama 3-0 in SEC tournament
- Bears LB Urlacher announces his retirement
- Bulldogs outlast Missouri 2-1 in 17 innings
- Gulf anglers get longer red snapper season
- Calendar of Events
Limestone Ledger 5/25/13
VFW grill out
The VFW and Ladies Auxiliary grill out will be held from 2-5 p.m. Sunday at the VFW Post on North Jefferson Street. Plates of barbecue ribs and chicken are $5 each. Eat in or carry out. Public invited. Contact: 256-729-6077 or 431-7887.
- Church Bulletin 5/24/13
- Limestone Ledger 5/25/13