AHS freshman orientation
Athens High School will hold orientation for freshmen and new students at 6 tonight in the theater and cafeteria. Class schedules will be distributed.
Athens Intermediate orientation
The Athens Intermediate School fifth-grade orientation and schedule pickup will be held at 6 tonight in the school cafetorium.
The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will hear an information and services update by State Rehabilitation Teacher Richard Moroney from 10 a.m. until noon Friday at the Athens Recreation Center. Contact: Maralyn Cox 256-232-5085.
4 Paws and a Book
4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Tanner High Class of ’72
The Tanner High School Class of 1972 will have a cookout from noon until 2 p.m. Saturday at the Tanner Baptist Family Life Center. Participants are asked to bring a side dish and a soft drink. Supper is planned for 6 p.m. at the old Greenbrier Restaurant.
Athens High Class of ’72
The Athens High School Class of 1972 will celebrate its 40th reunion from 7-11 p.m. Saturday at Canebrake Country Club. Cost is $30 per person or $60 a couple. Contact for reservations and information: Amy Black Woodroof at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
AHS Booster Club dinner
The annual Athens High School Booster Club kickoff dinner will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 21, at the school cafeteria. Membership signups, Golden Eagle merchandise and a meal will be available. Parents, family and fall athletes are invited. Contact: Shannon Elliott 256-777-3311.
Tyler family reunion
The Tyler family reunion scheduled for Sunday, Aug. 19, is canceled due to unforeseen circumstances surrounding the family. The annual event will be held in August 2013. Contact: Kathy Owens 256-233-4979.
Rescue Squad fundraiser
The Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad is accepting donations for a future yard sale fundraiser. Drop off items at their 1401 Freeman Avenue location or call for pickup at 256-434-6355 or 434-6352.
Through SenioRx, free prescription medicine is available to senior citizens and disabled people age 55 and over who qualify and do not have insurance. Call Lauri King at 256-233-6412 for more information or to sign up for SenioRx.
Duck and Run 5K and Fun Run
Online registration is open for this mildly challenging 5K and fun run on Saturday, Sept. 15, in Athens. Visit KeepAthens-LimestoneBeautiful.com for details and online registration, or call 256-233-8728. Proceeds benefit the work of Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful.
Elkmont Class of ’62 reunion
The Elkmont High School Class of 1962 is seeking class members to attend a 50th class reunion at 6 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15, at the new Greenbrier Restaurant. Casual dress. Contacts: Linda Thomas Eaves 256-732-4419 and Pat Robinson Usery 732-3455.
Elkmont High 100-year celebration
The 100-year Celebration of Elkmont High School will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 16, at the school. All alumni and spouses, current and retired teachers, friends and supporters are invited. Registration will be held from 1-2 p.m. in the gym followed by an assembly, gathering of alumni by decade, a tour of the school and refreshments.
Brewer High reunion
The Brewer High School Class of 1987 will hold its 25th reunion Sept. 28-29. Contact Jeff Joner at email@example.com for details.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet during a Dutch lunch at 11 a.m. today, Aug. 16, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Guest speaker is Athens Police Chief Captain Floyd Johnson. All seniors welcome.
• Republican women. Limestone Republican Women will meet tonight, Aug. 16, at Mac’s Steakhouse, 1733 S. Jefferson St. Social at 6 p.m. and meeting at 6:30. Speakers will be local state senators and representatives who will discuss the last legislative session. Audience can ask questions.
• SCV. Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 7 tonight, Aug. 16, at the Alabama Veterans Museum on Pryor Street. Public invited.
• County Commission. The Limestone County Commission will meet at 10 a.m. Friday, Aug. 17, at the Clinton Street annex.
• Farmers Federation. The Limestone County Farmers Federation annual meeting and picnic will be held at 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 17, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor St. Will include election of directors and yearly reports. Conclude with door prizes and barbecue dinner. Contact: Paul Looney 256-232-1391.
• Blacksmiths. Athens Blacksmiths will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, at Travis Flemings Shop, 208 Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. Contact: John Guenther 256-230-2900.
• Friends of Archives. The Friends of the Archives quarterly meeting will be at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 21, at Limestone County Archives, 102 W. Washington St. (the green, former train depot). Members and visitors invited. Contact: 256-233-6404 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 21, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.