Betty Chambers and the Southwind Band will perform 6 p.m. Saturday at the Goodsprings Community Center. Everyone is invited; please bring finger foods.
Limestone County Chapter of the Alabama Democratic Conference will host a yard/bake sale beginning at 6 a.m. Saturday at T&T Grocery on the corner of Hine Street and U.S. 72. A variety of clothing, household items and fresh baked goods, including cakes, cookies, breads and rolls, will be available. Contact: James Lucas at 256-431-3744 or Georgia Nichols at 256-232-0985.
AMVETS yard sale
A yard sale will be held at 7 a.m. Saturday at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street. Hamburgers and hot dogs will be sold. Rent a space for $10. Donated items can be picked up. Proceeds go to AMVETS Post 21 and Ladies Auxiliary. Contact: Roxanne Haggermaker 256-374-2073.
Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend the free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun provided. Registration and information contact: 256-216-5668.
McElyea-Smith reunion will be from 10:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday at New Haven Gathering Place on Santana Drive off West Hobbs Street. Contact: Sarah 256-232-6756 or Alice 256-729-1831.
Dinner in the Orchard
Ticket sales begin at 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 8, at Isom’s Orchard for Dinner in the Orchard. Tickets are $100 each. The event benefits Athens-Limestone Library Foundation and Susan G. Komen Foundation. Contact: Marlene Isom 256-232-0808.
Central Office Open House
Athens City Schools will hold an open house at the new central office at 455 U.S. 31 North in Athens from 2-4 p.m. Sunday.
Children’s Chorale auditions
Heritage Children’s Chorale of the South will hold auditions for children ages 8-18 at 4:30 p.m. Monday at First United Methodist Church at 208 W. Hobbs Street in Athens. No prior experience required and no audition selection needed. Contact: Mary Stephenson, 256-233-0433.
Used book sale
Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Use side door by parking lot. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Council on Aging will sponsor a fall prevention talk by a specialist in internal and geriatric medicine 1 p.m. Thursday at the Athens Senior Center. For more information call Jennifer Reece at 256-233-6412.
AMS Mum Sale
Athens Middle School Mum Sale is underway through Sept. 5. Orders can be placed with any AMS student or from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the school on Clinton Street. Yellow, red and bronze mums are $10 a pot. Payment due with order. Expected delivery is Oct. 4.
Scheduled auditions for the gospel musical “Crowns” are scheduled for 6:30-8 p.m., Sept. 6,10, 13 and 14 at the NAACP Branch Office, 17308 U.S. 72 in Athens. Cast consists of six women and one man. Auditions include reading or reciting a poem or monologue of your choosing and singing a song. Play is planned for January 2013. Contacts: Carolyn Williams 256-777-9727 and Frank Travis 256-230-1325.
• American Legion. Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary monthly meeting will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 6, at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Contact: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• Healing Hearts. The Healing Hearts support group for pregnancy and incant loss will meet form 6:30-8 p.m. Monday, Sept. 10 in the education department of Athens-Limestone Hospital. For information, call the hospital at 256-233-9292 or find Healing Hearts of Limestone County on Facebook.
• Master Gardeners. The Limestone County Master Gardener Association will meet at noon Monday, Sept. 10 in the Extension Office on Market Street in Athens.
• Cancer support. Survivors and caregivers are invited to attend the cancer support group meeting at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11 at Catfish Cabin. Contact: Esther Jernigan, 256-232-6455.
• Limestone school board. Limestone County school board members will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11, at the Clinton Street Courthouse Annex in Athens.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club will have its meeting and luncheon kicking off the 2012-2013 year at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 12 at the Rodgers Center at the First Presbyterian Church in Athens. Lunch will follow the business meeting. The meeting and lunch are open to members and their guests.
•Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will hold its regular meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 11 at LuVici’s Restaurant in Athens. Social time begins at 5:30 p.m.; meeting begins at 6:30. Contact: Chairman Coffman at email@example.com.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.