The News Courier
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Caregivers Night Out will be from 6-9 pm. Friday, Dec. 14, at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Dec. 13, at 256-232-7207.
The Oak Grove/Thach Fire Department is holding a turkey shoot that begins at 9 a.m. Saturday at Station 1 on the corner of Alabama 251 and McKee Road. Contact: Michelle 256-206-6161.
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
A free to the public classic and antique car show, silent auction and barbecue will be held from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Saturday at First Church Athens, 17175 Lucas Ferry Road in Athens. Barbecue plates are $5. Car fee is $20. Register by 8 a.m. Trophies and door prizes awarded. Proceeds go to help fund Men for Missions trip to the Dominican Republic. Contact: 256-874-7878 or 874-6558.
Heart of Athens calendars
Heart of Athens calendars that feature paintings by local artists of many community landmarks are available for $18 each at U.G. White’s and the ASU Center for Lifelong Learning, both on the downtown Square. They can be purchased online at http://www.athensspirit/blogspot.com. Calendar sales benefit the nonprofit Spirit of Athens and their work in downtown revitalization.
Troop 7236 Christmas Trees
East Limestone Boy Scout Troop 7236 has Fraser Fir Christmas trees for sale through Dec. 18. Visit the new location at East Limestone and Capshaw roads at the old Reliance Bank lot.
• Sportsman Club. The Limestone County Sportsman Club will meet at 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 10, at the Vietnam Veterans of America building at 17953 W. Elm St. Covered dish dinner will be served following the meeting. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Cancer survivors dinner. An American Cancer Society Christmas supper for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 11, at Catfish Cabin. Bring a dessert and a $10 Santa swap gift. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, Dec. 11, at the DAV on Airport Road off Alabama 127 in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7.
• Preservation. The regular meeting of the Historic Preservation Commission will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 11, at the Visitors Center. A special meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13, at the Public Works Department to consider the Certificate of Appropriateness application of Burt Nelson.
• MLK Holiday Committee. The Athens-Limestone Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Planning Committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 12, at the NAACP office, 17308 U.S. 72 West. Contact: Benard Simelton 256-426-6406 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Democrats. The Limestone County Democratic Executive Committee and Club will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13, at Catfish Cabin on U.S. 72. Business meeting to follow Dutch-treat meal and program on the Children’s Advocacy Center. Contact: Diane Young at email@example.com.
• American Legion. Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary annual Christmas party will be at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13, at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Paid-up members, their spouse or a guest are welcome. Contact: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023 regarding food items to bring and for more information.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Dec. 14, at Athens Recreation Center. Contact: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 15, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. A Christmas musical program will be presented. Breakfast prepared by Bob McAbee and J.D. Jones. Contact: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.