The News Courier
Duct tape bookmarks
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a free duct tape bookmark program for kids and teens from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Friday to make bookmarks using different colors and patterns of tape. Bring tape if desired but not required. Contact: 256-232-1233.
The Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend the free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun provided. Registration and information contact: 256-216-5668.
AMVETS memorial ceremony
The Mims-Russell American Veterans Post 21 will conduct a memorial ceremony at 11 a.m. Saturday at Roselawn Cemetery in Athens. There will be a placing of wreaths, 21-gun salute, playing of taps and guest speakers. This is the first memorial ceremony for AMVET’s Post 21’s namesakes, Officer Tony Mims and Sgt. Larry Russell.
Senior Farmer’s Market Nutrition Program applications are now available for citizens age 60 and older who meet certain income guidelines: Family of one, $1,534 monthly; family of two, $2,064 monthly; family of three, $2,594. Visit your closest senior center during normal business hours or go to the Council on Aging office on Pryor Street to complete an application. These are submitted online by Council on Aging staff, but the website states: “The budget does not allow enough checks to satisfy everyone who wants them and is eligible.”
• Cancer support group. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 tonight, Jan. 8, at Shoney’s on U.S. 72 in Athens. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• Vietnam Veterans. Vietnam Veterans of America chapter 511 will meet at 6:30 tonight, Jan. 8, for the annual holiday dinner. Meat provided by chapter 511. Voluntary covered dishes and desserts are requested. No business meeting is scheduled.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 9, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Past president of the Hosta Society of Northern Alabama Susan Webb will present the program, “Introducing Hostas.”
• Democrats. The Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 10, at the Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena on Market Street to define projects and opportunities for 2013. Dinner will be potluck so bring a dish to share. Public invited.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Jan. 11, at Athens Recreation Center. Guests will be Frank Travis and local state legislators. Contact: Jerry George 246-729-1145.
• NSDAR. The John Wade Keyes chapter of The National Society Daughters of the
American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 12, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center in Athens. Contacts: Judy Rew or Doris Estes 256-232-8733. Public invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.