Community Thanksgiving service
The Athens-Limestone Ministerial Association will have a community Thanksgiving service at 6 tonight hosted by First Baptist Church in Athens. Those in attendance are requested to bring nonperishable items to help “stuff a truck” for Limestone County Churches Involved.
Benefit jewelry sale
The Athens-Limestone Hospital Education Department will sponsor a $5 jewelry sale from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday and 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday. The sale will be held at the education department, located at the Sanders Street entrance. Proceeds will benefit the Athens-Limestone Hospital Auxiliary scholarship fund.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Caregiver’s Night Out will not be held Friday but a special respite for Christmas shopping will be held from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1 at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church, 1300 Lindsay Lane. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Nov. 29 at 256-232-7207.
East Limestone Boy Scout Troop 7236 will hold their sixth annual Fraser Fir Christmas trees sale from Saturday Nov. 24 through Dec. 18. The sale location is the corner of East Limestone and Capshaw roads at the old Reliance Bank lot. Proceeds will be used to purchase troop camping equipment.
Holiday Home Tour
Athens Ladies Civitan Club is selling tickets for their Holiday Home Tour to be held from 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. For information on homes to be toured and ticket locations, contact Carolyn Stair 256-233-0258 or Carol Malone 256-232-2865.
“Crowns” ad deadline extended
The deadline to advertise in the souvenir program for the Frank Travis production of the musical gospel “Crowns” has been extended to Wednesday, Dec. 5. Proceeds benefit Athens-Limestone Community Association’s Fort Henderson/Trinity School Project. Ads can be placed with Carolyn Williams 256-777-9727 or Richard Martin 256-278-1262.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP meeting for election of officers and executives will be held from 6:30-8 p.m. Monday, Nov. 19, at 17308 U.S. 72 West in Athens. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489 or 256-216-5668.
• Al-Anon. The Athens Al-Anon Family Group will meet at 8 p.m. Monday at 518 S. Clinton St. Al-Anon offers hope and help for families and friends of alcoholics. The group also meets Thursdays. Contact: 1-888-425-2666.
• Friends of Archives. The Friends of the Archives quarterly meeting will be at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20, at Limestone County Archives, 102 W. Washington St. (the green, former train depot). Members and visitors invited. Contact: 256-233-6404 or email@example.com.
• Alzheimer’s support. Athens Alzheimer’s Support group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20, at the Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street. Caregivers or anyone with a family member or friend with Alzheimer’s is invited to attend and find out what can be done to help loved ones. Contact: Sharon Griffis 256-874-0888.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will host Thanksgiving dinner for members and their families at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. No meeting is scheduled. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.