The News Courier
Fashion show ticket deadline
Tuesday, March 5, is the deadline to purchase tickets for the Athens-Limestone Beautification Board Dogwood Festival Fashion Show and Luncheon. Tickets are $25. No tickets will be sold at the door. The event will be held at noon Tuesday, March 12, at First United Methodist Church Beasley Center at the corner of Bryan and Marion streets in Athens. Call RSVP at 256-232-7207 for ticket information.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Make reservations by noon Thursday, March 7, at 256-232-7207.
Scout pancake fundraiser
Boy Scout Troop 7236 pancake breakfast will be held from 8-10 a.m. Saturday at Applebee’s on U.S. 72. Tickets are $5 at the door.
Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend the free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun provided. Registration and information contact: 256-216-5668.
Owens VFD fundraiser
Owens Volunteer Fire Department Swamp Johns catfish fundraiser will be held from 4-7 p.m. Saturday at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Each $10 plate includes choice of meat, hushpuppies, French fries, coleslaw, dessert and tea. Contacts: Tammy Blakely 256-655-9028 between 5-9 p.m. and Dennis Blakely 256-655-9196, between 6:30-9 p.m.
Poke Sallet tickets
Ticket sales for the 21st annual Poke Sallet Follies, “Be Our Guest,” continue at the Athens Senior Center at 912 W. Pryor St. in Athens. Tickets are $35 per person, limited to two tables per customer and include a three-course meal. Tickets are sold daily from 7:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. and must be paid by cash or check only when obtained. The Follies will be held March 7-9 at the Athens Senior Center.
• Vietnam veterans. Vietnam Veterans of America chapter 511 will meet Tuesday, March 5, at the chapter hall. Food at 6:15 p.m., business meeting at 7. All Vietnam-era veterans are welcome.
• AHS Class of ’56. Athens High School Class of 1956 and friends will meet at 11 a.m. Wednesday, March 6, for a Dutch-treat lunch at Mac’s Restaurant in Athens. Contact: Betty Richardson 256-777-0516.
• County Commission. Limestone County Commission will meet at 10 a.m. Thursday, March 7, at the Clinton Street annex in Athens.
• Sportsman. Limestone County Sportsman Club will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 7, at 102 Bullington Road in Athens. Upcoming events and business will be discussed. Covered-dish dinner to follow. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, March 8, at Athens Recreation Center near Athens High School stadium. All retirees of Athens and Limestone County school systems are invited. A TARCOG attorney will speak on elder law. Contact: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.