Crazy Bread for a Cure
A Relay for Life Crazy Bread for a Cure fundraiser will be held all day today at Little Caesar’s. Proceeds from sale of Crazy Bread benefit the American Cancer Society Relay for Life Cancer Survivor Team. Contact: Esther Jernigan 256-232-6455.
Retired, former and current employees of Athens-Limestone Hospital are invited to a bring your own sack lunch from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. today at Athens Wellness Park. Contact: 256-232-0684.
Fire department yard sale
The Clements Volunteer Fire Department will hold a yard sale from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. Thursday through Saturday at 9158 U.S. 72 West.
The annual Bean Day will be held from 10:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. Friday at the First Baptist Church Family Life Center on Hobbs Street. Meal includes beans, slaw, cornbread, dessert and drink for $6, and a country story includes homemade jams, jellies and other items for sale. Carryouts available. Tickets are at the Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street. Contact: Jennifer 256-233-6412.
Mayor’s Youth Commission
Applications for the Mayor’s Youth Commission are due Friday. Applications are available at Athens High School, Athens Bible School, at City Hall and online at athensal.us. Send applications to Holly Hollman, Athens Mayor’s Youth Commission, P.O. Box 1089, Athens, AL 35612.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church, 16230 Mooresville Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Oct. 4, at 256-232-7207.
Breast cancer benefit
A benefit sale with proceeds going to the Sherri Adams Pink Ribbon Run will begin at 7 a.m. Saturday at the Waddell Center on Washington Street in Athens. The Athens-Limestone Hospital and Limestone Health Facility race is Nov. 3 to raise money and awareness for breast cancer. Contact: Emily Lovell 256-732-4086 or 256-497-7258.
The Bethel, Tenn. Lodge 194 F&AM will serve a buffet breakfast to benefit charity from 7-9 a.m. Saturday at the Lodge building. Public invited. Nonperishable food items are being collected for the food bank.
Coffee Call for area veterans and spouses, and sponsored by Grover and Rose Gardner and Charles Page on behalf of local elected Democrats, will be held from 8-9:30 a.m. Saturday at the Alabama Veterans Museum, 100 W. Pryor St. Contacts: Sandy at 256-771-7578.
Pressnell family reunion
Descendants of George Thomas Pressnell and Emma Alice Edgemon Pressnell are invited to attend a family reunion from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Saturday at West Side Community Center, 21639 Alabama 99 in Athens. Contact: email@example.com or call 256-603-8975.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday at the library, 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Star Wars Reads Day
Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a free Star Wars Reads Day from 2-4 p.m. Saturday. Games, crafts, snacks, trivia, reading, door prizes and fun. Costumes welcome. All ages invited. Contact the library at 256-232-1233, ext. 204 or visit www.alcpl.org.
Wacky Quacky Ducky Derby
The 12th annual Wacky Quacky Ducky Derby will be held at 4 p.m. Saturday at Big Spring Memorial Park in Athens. There is a McClary Ford $1,000 Grand Prize and other prizes. A $5 donation to Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful enters a numbered duck in the race in your name A $25 donation is worth 6 ducks entered and a free sandwich coupon. Adopt ducks online at www.keepathenslimestonebeautiful.com or visit the KALB office or Recycling Center. Contact: 256-233-8728.
Ride to Read
The Ride to Read Trail Ride sponsored by Limestone County Sheriff’s Office will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday at Neal Johnston Farm in Minor Hill, Tenn. Gate opens at 11 a.m. Adults, $15; non-riders and children under age 12, $7. Meal included after the ride. Ride to Read benefits the Athens-Limestone Public Library Foundation. Contact: 256-232-0111, 256-232-1233 or visit www.alcpl.org.
Reyer family reunion
The Reyer family reunion will be held Sunday at the First National Bank Community Room at 26599 Main St. in Ardmore, Tenn. Bring covered dish for a 1 p.m. lunch. To find out more about Reyer family descendants invited call 256-423-3537.
Medicare Part D open enrollment
Medicare Part D open enrollment will be held Oct. 15 through Dec. 7. Interested persons are asked to make an appointment to compare and discuss Medicare Part D plans with local SHIP coordinator, Jennifer W. Reece at 256-233-6412.
Rescue Squad yard sale
The Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad is accepting donations for a yard sale to be held at a later date. The originally scheduled Oct. 5-6 sale has been postponed. Anyone with donations to be picked up can call 256-434-6355.
FluMist/Shots for students
Limestone County Schools will offer free FluMist/Shots during October for students in kindergarten through 12th grade. FluMist is a no-shot vaccination. The FluZone injectable is also available for students with no deductibles or out of pocket costs. BCBS, ALLKids, Medicaid or other private insurance will be billed. Children with no insurance will receive the vaccination free while supplies last. Parent consent form required.
• AHS Class of ’56. The Athens High School Class of 1956 will meet at 11 a.m. today, Oct. 3, for a Dutch lunch at Greenbrier Restaurant across from the old cotton gin at 27028 Old Highway 20. Contact: 256-232-6195.
• Fitting the Pieces. The autism network group for parents, Fitting the Pieces, will meet from 6-7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4, at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church. Contact: 256-431-3511.
• Piecemakers Quilt Guild. Athens Piecemakers Quilt Guild will meet Thursday, Oct. 4, at First Church of Athens, 17175 Lucas Ferry Road. Social time is 6:15 p.m. and the meeting begins at 7. Quilto will be played for the program. All quilters welcome. Contact: 256-233-3113.
• Sportsman’s Club. The Limestone County Sportsman’s Club will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4, at the pond clubhouse on Kennedy Drive in Athens. Upcoming events and club business will be discussed. Covered dish dinner served following the meeting. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• American Legion. Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary monthly meeting will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4, at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. In addition, the quarterly meeting will be held Sunday, Oct. 7, at the same location. Dinner served at 1 p.m. and meeting at 2. Contact for both meetings: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• Tremor support. The North Alabama Essential Tremor Support Group will meet at 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 6, at Madison Wellness Center, 8391 U.S. 72 in Madison. Dr. Nancy Harden of Flexibility for Life is the guest speaker. Essential tremor is a neurological condition that affects an estimated 10 million Americans.
• Prospect Cemetery Assoc. The fall meeting of the Prospect Cemetery Association will be at 2 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 7, at the Prospect Rescue Squad building. Reports will be presented and 2013 committee members will be elected. Contact: Charlie Crosby 256-216-5840 and Cindy Harris 931-363-0202.
• Master Gardeners. Limestone County Master Gardeners will meet at 6 p.m., Monday, Oct. 8, at First National Bank in Athens. Guest speaker Don Collier, professor at Calhoun College, will bring a program on “Invasive Plants.” Public is invited.
•Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will hold its regular meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 9, at LuVici’s Restaurant in Athens. Social time begins at 5:30 p.m.; meeting begins at 6:30. Contact: Chairman Ronnie Coffman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, Oct. 9, at the DAV on Airport Road off Alabama 127 in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7. Members are encouraged to attend.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.