The News Courier
AARP safety course
The American Association of Retired Persons safe driving course will be held from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Thursday at the Council on Aging office on Pryor Street. Cost is $12 for AARP members, $14 otherwise and includes anyone age 50 and older. No preregistration. Bring sack lunch.
Boys & Girls Club dinner
Tickets are on sale for the 19th annual Athens Boys & Girls Club Dinner to be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Beasley Center of the First United Methodist Church. Individual tickets are $20. Sponsorship is $300 per table (seats 8) and includes recognition on the table and in the program. Live auction. Tickets available at the club at 1017 W. Washington St. Contact: 256-232-4298. Proceeds benefit the Club.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church, 1300 Lindsay Lane. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Feb. 21, at 256-232-7207.
Hunt, raffle and stew
A benefit coon hunt, raffle and chicken stew for Kyle Crouch, who has muscular dystrophy, will be held Saturday at the North Alabama Coon Hunters Association, 33656 Alabama 99 in Anderson at the Goodsprings community. Hunt fee is $10 per person. Stew will be ready by 11 a.m. Raffle is for a 22 rifle. More details available through Eugene Blakely (coon hunt entries) 256-431-3273, Mark Jones 256-509-4064 and Charlie McMeans 256-431-9618.
Tye Dye for Teens
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host Sharpie Tye Dye for Teens from 3:30-5 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 26. Bring your own clean white T-shirt or pillowcase. Snacks included for teens only. Contact: 256-232-1233.
The Limestone County Farmer’s Federation is holding a nonperishable food drive Feb. 18-22 in observance of Food Check Out Week. Drop off items between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at any ALFA Insurance office in Limestone County and on Main Street in Ardmore.
Used book sale
The Friends of the Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 26, at the library. The library is located at 405 E. South St. in Athens.
Advance tickets at $10 each are on sale through March 2 for the Owens Volunteer Fire Department Swamp Johns catfish fundraiser from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, March 9, at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Purchase tickets at Station 1 on Elk River Mills Road. Each $10 plate includes a choice of meat, hushpuppies, French fries, coleslaw, dessert and tea. Contacts: Tammy Blakely 256-655-9028 between 5 and 9 p.m. and Dennis Blakely 256-655-9196, between 6:30 and 9 p.m.
• Limestone County Dems. The Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 21 at the Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Dinner will be potluck. The public is invited to attend.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Susie Adams, licensed and certified lymphedema and massage therapist. Public invited.
• AMVETS. Post 21 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner. Upcoming events and organizational business will be discussed. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Sons of Confederate Veterans. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Historian, and Senior Military Instructor Ed Kennedy will give a talk on African American Confederate soldiers. Public invited.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. Guest speaker will be attorney R. Garry Clem. Breakfast served. Call Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• Athens Forge. Athens Blacksmith Forge will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, at Travis Flemings Artistic Anvil Forge on Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. February project is to make chisels from 5160 steel. Contact: John Guenther 256-431-3862 or 256-230-2900.
• Soil and Water Conservation: The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation district board of supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 26, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office located at 1795 U.S. 72 E., Ste. 102, Athens. The public is invited to attend.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.