Church briefs must be submitted in writing, either on a form available at The News Courier office at 410 W. Green St., Athens, or sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org or a fax to 256-233-7753.
• 50th anniversary. West Hobbs Street Church of Christ will hold its 50th anniversary celebration and gospel meeting through today at 1602 W. Hobbs St. in Athens. Tom Holland will be speaker at events at 9 a.m., 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Sunday. Singing will be held at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Contact: 256-232-4705.
• Special event. New Life Church will host its annual Family & Friends Day beginning 9 a.m. today, Feb. 19. Pastor Antoyne L. Green will deliver the message. Special music will be provided by New Life Church. The church is located at 2314 South Hine Street in Athens.
• Sanctuary rededication. West Highland Baptist Church at Fifth Avenue and Hine Street will host a rededication of its refurbished sanctuary at 2:30 p.m. today, Feb. 19. A reception will follow in the Christian Life Center. Call 256-232-3397.
• Black history program. Grace Missionary Baptist Church will host its Black History Month program at 2:30 p.m. today, Feb. 19, at the church. The theme will be “Embracing the Dream, ‘I Will Love You, O Lord, My Strength.’” Special performances by LaJeana Williams, Frank Travis and the Women of Grace Praise Ministry. Maxine Randolph, manager of Lowe’s in Athens, will be guest speaker.
• Special guests. Mike and Dottie Clark of Casa Para Niños Aleluya in Guatemala will be at the New Bethel Baptist Church for 9:15 a.m. Sunday school and 10:30 a.m. worship service today, Feb. 19.
• Black History. Christ Church at 1350 Evangel Dr. in Huntsville with hold its annual African-American Heritage Celebration at 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 24. The Sisters Three will present the comedy stylings of “Betty Red Hat Boop,” “The CoMeat E’N,” vocal stylings of “The Red Hat Angel on a String” and the theatrical ramblings of “Red Hat Ruff-N- Retty.” The public is invited to join the fun, and wear red or African attire.
• Singles. Singles of North Alabama will meet for its monthly covered dish supper and to view the movie “Courageous” at 6 p.m. Friday, Feb. 24, at West Highland Baptist Church, corner of Fifth Avenue and Hine Street. Contact: Kat Moore 256-874-0843.
• Youth Explosion. Mount Pleasant Christian Methodist Episcopal Church will hold a youth and young adult explosion at 5 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 25, at the church at 423 Bethel St., N.E. in Hartselle. There will be singing, dancing and worshipping God. Proceeds will be used for the Youth and Young Adult Connectional Conference in Orlando, Fla. Contacts: the Rev. J.C. Davis Jr. or Priscilla Davis 256-656-3878 or 256-509-4212.
• Black History. Little Ezekiel Missionary Baptist Church at 16439 Lindsay Road in Tanner will host a Black History Month program at 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 26. The event will include singing of Negro spirituals by the Little Ezekiel choir, displays of great accomplishments of black men and women, poetry, soloists and dramatizations.
• Homecoming. Greenbrier Baptist Church at 7939 Greenbrier Road in Madison will hold its homecoming Sunday, Feb. 26. Sunday school will be at 10 a.m.; worship at 11 a.m., lunch at noon; and afternoon service at 1:30 p.m., featuring the King’s Messengers quartet. Contact: Pastor Ricky Lowery 256-497-7349 or visit www.greenbrierbaptistchurch.net.
• Family and friends. Indian Creek Primitive Baptist Church will host its annual Family and Friends Day with services at 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 26.
• WOW luncheon. Women of Worth Women’s Ministry of Athens’ First United Methodist Church will host its seventh-annual spring luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, March 3. “Simplicity in Christ” is the theme; The Sweetest Things Tea Room will serve salad plates; and Donna Allen of LaFayette will speak and sing. Tickets are $15 at the church office, and the deadline to buy them is Feb. 27.
• Schedule change. New Life Baptist Church at 2314 S. Hine St. in Athens has changed its worship schedule. WORD study will be held from 8-8:50 a.m. and worship will begin at 9 a.m. Everyone welcome to attend. Contact: 256-233-7228.