Johnson Elementary School Leadership Day will be held from 9-11:30 a.m. today at the school, 21360 Alabama 251. Registration at 8:30 a.m. RSVP the number attending by fax 256-233-6673, email Allison.email@example.com or phone 256-233-6665.
Sawyer Moss benefit
A benefit yard sale for Sawyer Moss, who has Phelan-McDermid syndrome, a genetic disorder, will be held Friday and Saturday starting each day at 7 a.m. at 1609 W. Market St. in Athens. Everything priced to sell.
American Red Cross blood drive will be held from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Friday at the Department of Human Resources first floor conference room at 1007 W. Market St. in Athens. Go to www.redcrossblood.org, sign in and make an appointment to give on Friday.
The Kiwanis Club Hamburger Day will be held from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Friday at Big Spring Park. Loaded charbroiled hamburger, chips, drink and dessert for $5. Proceeds sponsor children’s programs in the community. Rain or shine. Advance tickets and large orders available now from any Kiwanis Club member or purchase at the event. Contact: Scott Cook 256-216-3731.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Clements Baptist Church on U.S. 72 West. Make reservations by noon today, May 10, at 256-232-7207.
Blood pressure screenings
May is High Blood Pressure Month and the Alabama State NAACP will conduct blood pressure screenings from 8 a.m. until noon Saturday at the NAACP HQ building, 17308 U.S. 72 West in Athens. Refreshments will be served. Receive information about high blood pressure. Nurses available to answer questions. Contact: 256-444-1300.
Decoration will be on Saturday. Donations for upkeep accepted from those unable to attend: Charlotte Bates, 10576 U.S. 72, Athens, AL 35611.
Wesley Chapel Cemetery
The Wesley Chapel Cemetery annual cleanup day is at 8 a.m. Saturday. Bring rakes, mowers, weed trimmers, garbage bags, etc. Donations needed for regular maintenance. Contact: Jane Tucker 256-431-1338.
The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office will host Coffee Call from 8-9 a.m. Saturday at the Sheriff’s Office, 101 W. Elm St.
The Southern Splendor Chorus will host a pancake breakfast from 8-10 a.m. Saturday at Applebee’s Restaurant on U.S. 72. Cost is $5 for adults and $3 for children under age 12.
Contact: Jim Ellis 256-431-5352.
The Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to The STEPS Book Club and reading session at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun provided. Free to the public. Contact: 256-216-5668.
Sunny Hill Cemetery
Decoration and cleanup at Sunny Hill Cemetery will be from 9:30 a.m. until noon Saturday. Upkeep donations can be sent to: Mahlon Nixon, 17232 Blackburn Road, Athens, AL 35611.
Decoration day at Dement Cemetery will be Saturday and include a 10 a.m. business meeting. If unable to attend, send upkeep donations to: Linda Gordon, 17170 Sledge Road, Athens, AL 35611.
Trail ride benefit
The trail ride to benefit Limestone County Triple Bs 4-H Horse Club will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at The Drop Farm, 11183 Snake Road in Athens. Cost is $10 per horse and rider. Lunch provided after ride. Rain date May 26. Contact: 256-777-2029.
The 30th annual Limestone Sheriff’s Rodeo Parade will take place at 2 p.m. Saturday through downtown Athens. Lineup starts at 1 p.m. at Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena on Alabama 99. For more information, contact the Sheriff’s Office at 256-232-0111.
Decoration Day at Johnson Cemetery will be held Saturday and includes a 2 p.m. business meeting. All donations accepted. Cemetery is off Alabama 251 on Johnson Lane and then Johnson Cemetery Road. Contact: George Johnson: 256-423-6384.
Unsung Heroes banquet
The Lindsay Lane Christian Academy Unsung Heroes scholarship banquet will be held at 5 p.m. Saturday at Lindsay Lane Baptist Life Center. The event will honor Athens/Limestone County school students, area unsung heroes, and residents impacted during the March 2012 tornadoes. Contact: Jan Matthews 256-874-2941.
American Legion Post 49 will hold its monthly chicken stew dinner from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or per quart carryouts. No sides with carryouts. Containers provided. For information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. For carryout reservations: 256-230-6233.
Memorial Day help needed
Local help is needed to ensure every deceased veteran in Limestone County has a flag placed on his or her grave this Memorial Day. Anyone who would like to help with the task can contact Bob Borden at 256-509-1306 or contact Sandy Thompson at the Alabama Veterans Museum at 256-771-7578.
Veterans museum fish fry
Tickets at $12 each are now available for the Alabama Veterans Museum & Archives fish fry to be held from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. Friday, June 8 at the Limestone County Event Center at 100 W. Pryor St. Carryouts available. Contact: 256-771-7578.
AHS Class of 1962
The Athens High School Class of 1962 50th class reunion will be held at 6 p.m. June 9, at Canebrake Club, 22509 Canebrake Lane. Cost is $30 per person. For more information, including payment arrangements, contact Pat Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• NDAR. The John Wade Keyes chapter of the National Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, May 12, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Contacts: Doris Estes 256-232-8733 or Judy Rew 256-233-1213.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will host lunch for the Habitat for Humanity building crew on Mayberry Lane Saturday, May 12. Arrive on-site at 10:45 a.m.
• Master Gardeners. The Limestone County Master Gardeners will meet at noon Monday, May 14, at the Extension Office in Athens. Max Campbell will present a fun program on Hobby Vegetable Gardening.
• City Council. The Athens City Council will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday, May 14, at the Athens Police Department on Hobbs Street.
• Soil and Water. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 15, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 15, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Pink Ribbon survivor group. The Pink Ribbon Hope Chest survivor group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 15, in classroom 4 of the Athens-Limestone Hospital education department. Contact: 256-216-9100.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.