American Legion Post 49 will hold its monthly chicken stew dinner from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. today. Cost is $5 to eat in or per quart carryouts. No sides with carryouts. Containers provided. For information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. For carryout reservations: 256-230-6233.
Senior Prom deadline
Friday is the deadline for senior citizens to register to attend the Limestone County second annual Senior Prom. It will be held at noon Friday, May 25, at the Event Center on Pryor Street. To register, call Jennifer Reece at 256-233-6412. You may bring one guest.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship United Methodist Church on Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, May 17, at 256-232-7207.
Singing on the Square
Just Down the Road will perform at 6 p.m. Friday for Singing on the Square in downtown Athens.
North Border Lodge will hold a country-style breakfast from 7:30-10 a.m. Saturday at the Lodge on Salem Field Lane in Salem. Public invited. Contact: Mickey Robertson 256-232-2335.
Cleanup workday at Limestone Cemetery begins at 7:30 a.m. Saturday. Bring tools, rakes, weed trimmers. Make donations through Robert J. Evans, 14919 Reid Road, Athens, AL 3511 or phone 256-233-8779.
Decoration day at Fielding Cemetery begins at 9 a.m. Saturday. Cemetery is located on Yarbrough Road approximately 2 miles north of Alabama 251. Donations needed for upkeep throughout the year. If unable to attend, send donations to: Stacy Todd, 19779 Yarbrough Road, Athens, AL 35613.
4 Paws and a Book
A “pawsitive” reading experience dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
WLHS ’55 reunion
The West Limestone High School Class of 1955 will hold a reunion from 4-8 p.m. Saturday, May 19, at 306 Barbecue on U.S. 72 in Athens. Contact: Fred Robertson Jr. 256-232-7266.
Memorial Day help needed
Local help is needed to ensure every deceased veteran in Limestone County has a flag placed on his or her grave this Memorial Day. Anyone who would like to help with the task can contact Bob Borden at 256-509-1306 or contact Sandy Thompson at the Alabama Veterans Museum at 256-771-7578.
Veterans museum fish fry
Tickets at $12 each are now available for the Alabama Veterans Museum & Archives fish fry to be held from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. Friday, June 8 at the Limestone County Event Center at 100 W. Pryor St. Carryouts available. Contact: 256-771-7578.
Grand Trinity Reunion
The Trinity High School Class of 1966 is planning for its bi-annual Grand Trinity Reunion. Students and staff who have not been contacted should contact Rosetta Glasper at 256-858-9860 or Shelbye Hobbs at 256-233-2264. Reunion activities, including a parade and banquet, will be Aug. 31 and Sept. 1 in Athens.
• Soil and Water. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. today, May 15, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 tonight, May 15, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Pink Ribbon survivor group. The Pink Ribbon Hope Chest survivor group will meet at 6 tonight, May 15, in classroom 4 of the Athens-Limestone Hospital education department. Contact: 256-216-9100.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, May 17, at Catfish Cabin. Meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. featuring speaker Mayor Ronnie Marks.
• Democrats. The Limestone County Democrats will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, May 19, at the home of Henry and Marsha White, 2431 S. Hine St. Light breakfast served. Donations accepted to offset food costs. Public invited.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP general membership meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, May 21, at the Athens Chamber of Commerce. Contact: Wil Woodruff 256-227-8489.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.