The News Courier
— Church briefs must be submitted in writing, either on a form available at The News Courier office at 410 W. Green St., Athens, or sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org or a fax to 256-233-7753.
• Personal testimony. Elkmont student athlete Rhett Bailey will speak and give his testimony at 11 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 14, at Truth Baptist Church on Sewell Road.
• Family and Friends Day. Family and Friends Day at Jerusalem P.B. Church in Belle Mina will hold Family and Friends Day at 2 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 14. Elder Joe Cater and Bethlehem P.B. Church will be the guest church in charge of services. Public is invited.
• Breast cancer program. Mount Nebo Missionary Baptist Church Women’s Ministry will present a breast cancer awareness program during morning worship service on Sunday, Oct. 14. Betty Gilbert from Little Ezekiel M.B. Church will be the speaker.
• Gospel meeting. Northside Church of Christ at 1201 N. Jefferson St. will hold a gospel meeting Oct. 14-17 featuring speaker James Hinkle. Monday through Wednesday services are at 7 p.m. Sunday services will be at 10 and 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. Contact: 256-232-3179.
• Education Day. Little Ezekiel M.B. Church at 16439 Lindsey Road in Tanner will hold its annual Education Day at 11 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 14. Guest speaker is Dr. Army Daniels.
Pastor’s Anniversary is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 28, with guest speaker Pastor John Jude and with Pleasant Grove CPCA Church Family in charge of the service.
• What do Mormans believe? The Athens congregation of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will host a “What do Mormans believe?” open house from 6:30-8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 18, at 1716 W. Market St.
• Day of Love. Pleasant Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America will hold a Day of Love and give away free food and clothing boxes at the corner of Plato Jones and Brownsferry streets from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 20. Contact: 256-216-0660 or 256-233-5995.
• Honoring pastor. Aeolians choral group of Oakwood University will be in concert at 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 20, at Trinity Seventh-day Adventist Church at 823 Brownsferry Street in Athens. The free event is to honor Pastor Sylister J. Jackson for 47 years of service in gospel ministry.
• Friends and Family Day. Bright Hope Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America at Mooresville Road will hold Friends and Family Day at 2 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 21, with guest speaker Pastor Willie J. Mangruem. Word of Faith M.B. Church is in charge of the service.
• Old Landmark Program. The Rev. James E. Coffey and Frazier C.M.E. Church Family celebrate Old Landmark (Old Fashioned Day) Program at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 21. The Rev. Corey Thomas and the New Beria Missionary Society of Frazier C.M.E. Church are special guests. Contact: Sylvia Kelly 256-232-5573.